- Location: 5, Tees January Marg, Near Birla House, New Delhi
- Timings: 10.00 am to 5.00 pm
- Closed: Monday
- Entry fee: free
Gandhi spent his last 144 days in Birla house
Gandhi Smriti formerly known as Birla Bhawan or Birla House is the memorial dedicated in the memory of Mahatma Gandhi, the father of the nation where he spent the last 144 days of his life. After his assassination on 30th January, 1948 the government converted this place to the museum. Initially it was the Birla house on the name of the business tycoon Ghanshyam Das Birla which was created in the year 1928.
Gandhiji took his last breath in the Birla House on 30th january. Birla House is the place where Gandhiji spent his last 144 days of his life. Jawaharlal Nehru wanted to convert the Birla House into the memorial of Mahatma Gandhi. In the year 1971, the government of India purchased this property from KK Birla and converted this into the the memorial of Mahatma Gandhi. The price of this property was 5.4 million during that time. Birla house was opened publicly on 15th August 1973 and renamed as Gandhi Smriti which means Gandhi remembrance.
Inside the Museum
- The museum has a bedroom, a dining room and a living room. His bedroom is very simple and peaceful describing his simplicity.
- The museum has many articles on the journey of Gandhi’s life and death.
- There are lot of photographs about Gandhi’s education from England to South Africa before he returned to India in the museum.
- One can see his footprints which are preserved in the museum before his assassination.
- The walls of the building has many of his sayings and his life stories written.
- He had promoted the use of Khadi and handcraft products. That is the reason these items are also available in the museum.
Gandhi Samadhi is at Rajghat which is close to the museum on Tees January Marg.
How to reach Gandhi Smriti
Race Course Metro station is the nearest metro to reach Gandhi Smriti which hardly takes 5 mins of walk. You can also hire paddled rickshaw from the metro station to Gandhi Smriti. Lok Kalyan Marg metro station is also near to the museum. It is just 1 km far from Gandhi Smriti museum.
Highlights of Gandhi Smriti
- There is a pillar outside the Birla House which contains the Swastika Symbol.
- Martyr’s Column row stands which is known to be the place of his assassination.
- The museum has many of his personal belongings like his pocket watch which stopped at the time of his assassination is one main attractions for the visitors.
- There is a well maintained large green park inside the museum.
- The museum has a small canteen offering snacks and lunch for the visitors.
- There is also a souvenir shop in the museum having variety of handcrafted items and clothes.
- Doll exhibition occur in the museum to briefly describe Mahatma Gandhi’s life and contribution to the nation.
Attractions near Gandhi Smriti
- Lodhi Garden: Distance: 2.4km
- Safdarjung Tomb: Distance: 2.6km
- Rashtrapati Bhavan: Distance: 2.4km
- Shish Gumbad: Distance: 2.4km
- Sikandar Lodi Tomb: Distance: 2.0km