- Location: Safdarjung Road, Near Delhi Gymkhana Club, New Delhi
- Timings: 10.00 am to 5.00 pm
- Closed: Monday
- Entry fee during weekdays: Rs. 50
- Entry fee during weekends: Rs. 100
- Guide available: yes
Indira Gandhi Memorial museum was initially the residence of the former prime minister of India, Indira Gandhi. She was the daughter of the first prime minister of India, Jawaharlal Nehru. Later her residence was converted into the national museum after her assassination on 31st October, 1984. Sikh bodyguards assassinated her at her own residence while she was walking out of the house. Indira Gandhi was born on 19th November 1917. There are many interesting facts about the Indira Gandhi Memorial Museum.
Indira Gandhi was the one and only female prime minister of India. She served the country as the prime minister from January 1966 to March 1977. She again became the prime minister in the year 1980 and served the country until her assassination in the year 1984. The museum has most of the rare photos of Indira Gandhi’s childhood and personal life.
Highlights of the Memorial
- The white saree she wore during the time of her assassination can be seen in the gallery.
- The crystal plaque pathway where she was killed has been preserved with brown spots of her blood. It is one of the main attractions to watch.
- The museum has a well maintained living room and a library. These areas are covered with glasses and visitors can view them through the glass.
- There is a collection of Indira Gandhi’s photos starting from her childhood to the time she served the nation as the prime minister in the museum.
- The museum has many of her belongings like her sarees, bags, footwears, medals and achievements she received during her lifetime.
There is a dedicated parking space available near the memorial museum at distance of 70 meters. People can also use the parking space of Gymkhana Club which is also near to the museum.
- Gymkhana club is only 500 meters away from the memorial museum.
- There is a library and a lawn tennis court at a walkable distance near the museum.
- A souvenir shop is also near the museum.
- Government has taken care of the public toilet which is very near to the museum.
- Gandhi Smriti: Distance: 1.9km
- Safdarjung Tomb: Distance: 1.3km
- Lodhi garden: Distance: 2.5km
- Nehru Park: Distance: 3.6km
- Rashtrapati Bhavan: Distance: 2.3km